Saturday, December 5, 2009

happier than any clam i've ever known

Which isn't many, mind you, but I think it is safe to say that I am very, very, very jolly.


This morning I woke up to the sound of two little Italian boys singing Christmas songs in English. It was rather delightful. Then I heard two little knocks on my door. The boys were wondering if they could please show me a little present. As I followed them over to a gorgeous nativity scene that they had just set up with Silvia. There is even a little well with real running, bubbling water! 







When I walked downstairs for breakfast, I was pleasantly surprised to see the entire living room covered in boxes of Christmas decorations AND a very lovely fake Christmas tree!! There was much bustling around as Lorenzo dug for ornaments and ran to Silvia asking where they should go and Filippo changed the Christmas songs every 4 seconds. It was very jolly! 


After eating and enjoying the holiday bustle, I left to meet Breana and walk to the market at San Lorenzo to do some Christmas shopping. We found many lovely things, and we ever bartered and got beautiful little leather bags!! 


From San Lorenzo, we wandered to Santa Croce where there was a mercatino, a little German Christmas market. We met our Italian friend Laura, Claire, Chrysanthe and Victoria and strolled for a few hours. I bought a few cute things, including some Christmas baby clothes pins for Silvia because she loves little clothes pins to close bags, and then two keychains for the boys - a santa and a snowman with the eyeballs that pop out. We tried the hot wine, and it tasted just like light, delicious hot mulled cider! Breana and I also ate a huge salted pretzel and the best freshly-made cotton candy (pure white) that I have ever tasted in my life!


Side note: let's discuss how beautiful the lights in this city are!! 





When I got home, I brought the little presents to the boys and they absolutely LOVED them. Silvia said, okay a kiss for Sera! Filippo promptly came over and stuck his head in my direction so I could kiss it. So I did! Silvia cracked up and said, alright, or she can kiss you! Lorenzo then followed suit and let me kiss his head as well - our first moment of sibling affection! 


Dinner was delicious tonight! We had fondue but with meat (fondue bourguignon?) in olive oil. We had pork, chicken, and of course, hot dogs! And Silvia's incredible roasted potatoes (I should mention that the toaster oven that she makes the potatoes in is located inside the pantry because it is not pretty nor as modern and fancy as the rest of the things in the kitchen... aka we often cook in the pantry....). For dessert we had castagnaccio which is a torte-type thing made with chestnut flour. The first few times I had it, I didn't like it all that much because it has a funny texture and not much flavor but tonight it was delicious! 


I spent a few hours after dinner watching TV with everyone, snuggled under blankets in the living room with the semi-decorated Christmas tree. We watched a series of bizarre Italian shows including one called "Chi ha incastrato Peter Pan?" which is somewhat like the American "Kids Say the Darndest Things" except there is also a huge emphasis on the hosts of the show, two or three middle-aged men who talk with the kids and do their own little skits and challenges. Its funny how they don't realize that it's odd to discuss your testicles in detail on public television..... in front of 4-year-olds... This country is very interesting....


Anyway! Off to sleep I go! Wishing for snow in Vermont!!


Bacione! 

No comments:

Post a Comment