Wednesday, February 17, 2010

untitled

sometimes it just hits me how completely pazzesca it is that i am just chilling over here in italy for a year. like whaaaattt am i thinking? 


generally i forget that i am in italy, which i know is an absolutely terrible thing to say but it is the truth.... after working so hard to adjust and settle in, and after succeeding to do so, its difficult to keep in mind all the time how blessed i am to be here and how completely wacky it is. and i mean wacky in the best way possible.


to think that i live with a family and feel so much a part of them after only having met them in september/october is an incredible thing. although i can't wait to be home in vermont, working at restaurants, seeing my friends, going out, etc., i am going to be completely heartbroken when i say adieu to my beautiful florentine family.


i love it here. as i said earlier, i realized today that the spring-y smell of florence smells like home to me - a feeling i wasn't sure i was ever going to have.


as i was sweeping the floor after dinner (as i do every night without fail unless my host dad races me to the broom and wins), i was struck by how comfortable i am here. it's still hard to speak italian all the time and i am far from speaking as well as i would like, but its safe here. my host mom and i clean up the kitchen together every night, sometimes chatting about little things here and there. even when we aren't talking, it feels good. it's my house. my italian house. and whenever i return to italy next (and all the times afterward) i will call and say hello and stop in for a weekend, i will introduce them to my husband and my children, and i will somehow, even if just via skype, see my little italian bros grow up. (speaking of which, i got to listen/help lorenzo with his english vocabulary tonight and it was probably one of the cutest things ever..... eat? it? eeeeeeiittt??? iiitt???? eeaaaaat???? to do? to go??? to go in bicycle? so cute.)


anyway. that's my little stream of consciousness for now! 


a dopo!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment