Monday, September 21, 2009

Così felice!


So happy! I think today has been the best day thus far of my Florentine adventure.

This morning we had our first language class and it was surprisingly good. We talked tutto in Italiano ALL day, and it wasn't half bad! After that class, I headed to Giovanna
's apartment with Alayna and some other girlies for a cooking lesson with an amazing woman named Pam. We first made panzanella (see the first photo) which is similar to a tabouleh but with stale bread so
aked in water and then squeezed out and mixed with oil and herbs and fresh vegetables. After that we made pappa al pomodoro (photo due), which is a bit like a stew or soup of tomato sauce and basil and chunks of (also stale) bread. Finally, we made some tiramisù which was far easier than I ever knew!

We sat down to eat with Pam and Giovanna, who bought us some amazing vino - both red and white with un po' frizzante (a tiny bit bubbly). We also had an incredible salad made with spinach from Pam's garden and the best peccorino in all of Italia, served with a concentrated and sweetened balsamic vinegar or local Italian honey. Che buonissimo!

After cooking class, we had history with a professor from Sienna who was very sweet and (for the most part!) quite interesting. After that class, Breana and I wandered the streets to find a notebook to write down all of our new vocabulario in so we won't forget. Finally, I strolled home, a mere 22 minute walk. For some reason all the Italian men have stopped harrassing me and calling to me which is odd considering my hair color, but I have decided to embrace the bionda and just present as Italiana as possible - maybe it's working?

Dinner tonight may have been the best so far: zuppa di fagioli (beans), fresh mozzarella with tomatoes, basil and olive oil, leftover veal from last night and lots of fresh fruit - the grapes are AMAZING. After dinner, Luciana, Ali, Julie and I chatted for a long time about all sorts of things - I think we were all feeling more confident after spending an entire day speaking solo Italiano! Luciana told us that she loves having us here with her because she likes our company. She is incredibly sweet and wonderful and I could not have asked for a better host nonna!

Fino a domani!!
Baci e abbracci!

Note: Today I learned that the patron saint of Florence is San Giovanni and he is celebrated on June 24th - my birthday! It is ovviamente (obviously) meant to be that I am here!

1 comment: