Tuesday, September 29, 2009

what a weekend!!

The bed bug bites are beginning to diminish! They are all now small and red and hard and my legs are all covered in popped blood vessels - I didn't even scratch!! But I look a bit like I have an intense case of chicken pox.... Charming!!

We are staying in our hotel until Thursday I believe? The house is being taken care of today, then closed up til Thursday morning, then new mattresses and NO. MORE. BED. BUGS. Schiffisimo. Boh.

Haven't really slept a full, solid night since last Thursday due to feverishness, then the discovery of the bugs, then sleeping in the hotel and being on steroids hasn't been helping.... I will take no more itching and no more nasty red bumps over sleep I guess!! No beach for me questo weekend either way - the sun makes them so much worse!

On a happier and sweeter note, we went to an Italian nursing home this morning to meet lots of anziani di Firenze (anziani, or anziano/a is the polite way of saying the elderly). They were all so sweet. The best part, by far, was when this younger man came in to read some of his own poetry and suddenly there was a very loud squillo (ring) of a cell phone. I assumed it was a Smithie's phone but no, it actually belonged to an adorable and very chatty anziana who promptly answered it (and not quietly either - "PRONTO!"). She had an entire phone conversation while this poor man tried to finish reading his poems. It was very sweet though and I thought Giovanna was about to keel over from laughing so hard. Gotta love Italians.

Time to get working on my journal entry due Thursday and my reading due tomorrow! Trying to start the schoolwork off well!!

Baci e abbracci!

P.S. Thanks for putting up with all the whining of bed bugs....!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sera - My name is Heather Cook Elliott (Heather Cook when at Smith) and I am a class of '01 and Firenze 1999-2000 alum. I was google searching "Smith a firenze" during my lunch hour at work and found your blog. I guess I was feeling nostalgic. Giovanna Bellesia was a prof during my time there and the wonderful Monica was our assistant director. Sounds like a lot hasn't changed. The year you are embarking on will be one of the most challenging and rewarding years of your life. Sounds cheesy and I know you've heard it before, but I guess it is worth repeating. Ho abitato vicino allo stadio con una Signoria incredibile. (Via Baldesi, 24 vicino alla Via Cento Stelle.) If you are ever out that way you have to go to a little restaurant on Via Cento Stelle called Mastrobulleta. It is still there - I checked on Google Streetview! Anyway, I am rambling, but thanks for the blog and I'll keep following to see how the bed bugs turn out! Please tell Monica that "Heatheruzza" said hello dagli Stati Uniti. Hope you don't mind if I chime in every once in awhile! In boca al lupo!

    ReplyDelete