Saturday, October 10, 2009

Riso Freddo and the Power of Change.

Italians are funny.


Tonight we ate riso freddo - cold rice - aka chilled rice served with sliced egg, canned tuna, tomatoes, capers, mushrooms and cut-up hot dogs. I am paying $50,000 to eat cold rice and sliced hot dog salad. Brava! Too bad it was extremely delicious.


* * *


This morning I went to Pistoia (everyone MUST go here, its BELLAISSIMA) to meet some of the teachers I may be working with for my little education internship. We also heard some of them speak and watched a little video about the architecture of education. It was all very interesting, and the elementary schools in Pistoia are incredible, but I am still feeling hesitant.


I love children, I always have. I love working with them and teaching them and laughing with them and watching them change. I have even (frequently) entertained the idea of getting my teaching license for the elementary level, but in the past few months I think I have changed my mind.


Whenever I try something new, I fall in love with it and decide that I want to dedicate my life to it. I alluded to this in a past post, but I'll elaborate just the same. When I took Anatomy & Physiology senior year of high school, I wanted to become a doctor. When I took my Anthropology of Dying & Death course at Smith, I wanted to become a forensic anthropologist (a là Bones). When I worked at a daycare, I came home thinking, "Hmmm, maybe I want to open a childcare center." When I attended a Doula workshop, I wanted to become a licensed Doula and after receiving acupuncture for the first time, I wanted that as a career as well. When I subbed at my mom's elementary school, I decided that I absolutely wanted to be a 1st and 2nd grade teacher. Now, all those ideas have flown out the window because my most recent endeavor in the real world was working in a restaurant and naturally I am dead-set on opening a restaurant. 


I am not saying that I don't think the Pistoia internship wouldn't be an incredible learning experience but I am worried that there is another internship or another volunteer opportunity out there somewhere in Firenze that would benefit my interests even more. There is a school of hospitality and restaurant management in Florence but I am pretty sure the classes are taught in English so that won't really work... but I'm sure there are others out there! 


I guess I am just worried because I want this year to be the best that it can be and I don't want to waste or miss any opportunity I am given. Pistoia would be incredible, as would many other things, so I suppose at this point its just up to me to explore some options and decide what I truly want to do.


Baci a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment