Wednesday, October 14, 2009

...and the magic returns

My mother has always told me that everything happens for a reason. This is true.

That being said, it is often difficult to find that reason when things are just not going your way.

The other day I asked Giovanna how you say "the silver lining" in Italian, or at least if there was a different way of expressing that idea. She couldn't think of a thing other than "everything happens for a reason." I guess Italians just inherently know that there is a silver lining to all difficult times and therefore they don't need a phrase that expresses it.

This brings me to my point.

Despite the atrocity that is bedbugs, things have turned out rather peachy.

For example: Last night my host mama popped her head in the door and blew me a kiss goodnight followed by a "buon giorno" note on the counter when I went down for breakfast this morning. Then this afternoon we were talking about food, and first of all, they now all tease me about how much to put on my plate at dinner after living with a woman who perpetually overfed me. Secondly, when they mentioned that they enjoy this funny American thing called a pancake with syrup from trees on it and I offered to get them Vermont maple syrup and make them pancakes they agreed - this is something Luciana would not have agreed to given I wasn't even allowed to get my own glass from the kitchen, let alone actually USE the stove. God forbid. Finally, the fact that I have been given two little brothers it just about the best thing ever. They are still too shy to really talk TO me but they do talk around me and my host parents often have to remind them to slow down so I can understand what they are saying. The sweetest thing is that when it's time for dinner Lorenzo comes to my door, pops his head in, says, "Pronto!" ("Ready!") and runs back downstairs, meanwhile Filippo is laughing hysterically because he didn't have to come to get me and poor Lorenzo did. Lorenzo even knocked on my door earlier to bring me another blanket for my bed and when I said, "Buona notte" he just said, "Ciao!" and scampered away. Love it.

Additionally, I have decided that Luciana is no better a cook than any other Italian mama. It's the ingredients that give everything that basic, delicious, fresh taste and its hard to create anything that isn't absolutely yummy! In fact, tonight may have been my favorite meal so far - first ravioli with sage and butter (why don't Americans use sage more?), followed by proscuitto crudo, peccorino, homemade pepper jelly, Tuscan bread (did I mention that Tuscan bread is salt-less and therefore definitely requires a large hunk of cheese and pepper jelly!), mushrooms from Lucca, salad, amazing tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, and then a tasty biscotti and a mandarin. Now come on, what is there to not love about that meal? Niente. That's what.

Anyway. On a different note, I have the first bag of guaranteed bug-free clothing here in my room. Everything else remains at the sede. It has all been sprayed with BioKill (charming name) and bagged for the next 24 hours. Tomorrow I will dry what can be dried, freeze what can't be dried, and bring it home, all while respraying both my things and my room. Hopefully this is the last hurrah because I cannot imagine a more mortifying and upsetting thing than carrying the bugs into this generous and beautiful home.... Wish me luck!

Baci e abbracci a tutti!

P.S. Chocolate festival in Perugia this weekend? I think YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment